Last Game (07.01.12):
Indians 6, Orioles 2
WP: Justin Masterson (5-7, 3.92)
LP: Brian Matusz (5-10, 5.42)

Up Next:
Vs. Angels 07.02.12 7:05p

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lowe Expectations

Yup, this is the Derek Lowe that I expected when the Indians traded for him.  While his first two starts were excellent and quite the pleasant surprise, none of us should have assumed him to continue pitching as such for any length of time.  I'm not saying that we will not see any more of that production this season, but we should be prepared for more starts like last night in Seattle, where the 39 year old has no command or ability to retire hitters, and plenty of the in between.  To give a frame of reference, that 1.72 WHIP is just about dead on.

I did manage to keep my lids up for the entirety of the contest yesterday, not that I was rewarded with any sort worthwhile performance by the Tribe.  Lucky for all you, I don't feel much like bitching today (I may get around to it) and I will also, likely be brief.

The high points -

(1) Carlos Santana gunning down Munenori Kawasaki to end the 5th... from his knees.  Now I had heard whispers that Santana had that kind of arm, but, honestly, I can't say that I had ever seen it until last night.  Kawasaki is a burner, maxing out at 44 steals in Japan, so it's not just the fact that Carlos got the ball there in time, it is the accuracy with which he placed the throw.  It's true that he caught just 24% of base stealers last season (second to last among catchers with 90+ games caught), but he's prevented 2 of 3 in 2012 and if he can harness the sort mechanics that he showed on that throw to second, the Indians will have an unexpected defensive weapon as their disposal.

(2) I really cannot believe I'm saying this, but the hardest hit ball of the game came off of Aaron Cunningham's bat.  More impressive to me was the throw that AC made back to the infield to double up Dustin Ackley to end the 6th.  Unfortunately, any silver lining the cloud of Cunningham is irrelevant.  Unless Shelley Duncan hits a schneid the size of Nicki Minaj's backside, Aaron is going to get DFAed whenever Johnny Damon has worked all of the kinks out of his system.  While I was staunchly anti-Cunningham during spring training, I have come to appreciate his defense and sincerely hope that he clears those waives.

(3) Nick Hagadone was absolutely filthy.  The butterflies of his hometown debut gone, Hagadone made Kyle Seager and Michael Saunders look flat out stupid during a perfect 7th inning.  I might make the bold statement that there is no way that he is going back to Columbus, but the Indians are known for making decisions based on everything but on-field performance.  So, let's just say there is absolutely no way that he should be demoted.

(4) Though neither is on my Christmas card list, props to Danny Wheeler and Jairo Asencio, as well, for keeping the team in the game after Lowe was unable to make through the 5th.  Between the three relievers, the Mafia threw 3 and 2/3 innings of scoreless, hitless ball.

Yeah, no Crabatha Christie novel today, I'll simply leave you with one very troubling number.  In the two games this season in which Jason Donald (.485 OPS) has been the leadoff hitter, the Tribe has batted .148 (9-for-61) with exactly 2 extra base hits and has scored a total of 3 runs.

Also, in case you haven't been informed, until Asdrubal Cabrera returns, Jack Hannahan is the back-up shortstop.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment