Last Game (07.01.12):
Indians 6, Orioles 2
WP: Justin Masterson (5-7, 3.92)
LP: Brian Matusz (5-10, 5.42)

Up Next:
Vs. Angels 07.02.12 7:05p

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

R.I.P. Harmon Killebrew (1936-2011)

Killebrew is often described as one of the giants of the game.  No one has such quite such a literal understanding of the phrase as I do.  When I was 10 years old, I had the opportunity to meet Harmon Killebrew.  During the brief window between his career as a player and that as a broadcaster, Rick Manning spent some time working with my father.  Through Rickey my dad and I were given just a touch of behind the scenes access at an event where both Manning and Killebrew were signing autographs.  My father was able to have a conversation with Killebrew while all I can recall is shaking the man's hand.  His mammoth paw completely enveloped mine.  This is not an overstatement, not the misremberance of a child dealing with adult things, Killebrew's hands were immense.  I stood there, dumbfounded, as he asked me my name.  I was so shocked at the gargantuan grip that I feared my own hand might never return.  Harmon chuckled and signed a ball for me.  It would be nice to say that I cherish that ball still, but some assholes stole it a couple of years ago so that they could buy more meth.  Ob la di.  It's not about that.  Today we celebrate Harmon Killebrew.  Cheers, big man, even if some disbelieve, I know that is your silhouette.

No comments:

Post a Comment