Last Game (07.01.12):
Indians 6, Orioles 2
WP: Justin Masterson (5-7, 3.92)
LP: Brian Matusz (5-10, 5.42)

Up Next:
Vs. Angels 07.02.12 7:05p

Friday, June 29, 2012

A Win, How Refreshing

I will not mention the Yankees.  I will not mention the Yankees.

How the hell did it take the Indians so long to recall Zach McAllister?

Sure Z-Mac needed 105 pitches to get through 5 and 2/3, but for a staff that posted a combined 7.31 ERA through its last rotation, McAllister's outing was like watching Pug Galvin in his prime.  What?  He's the 5th winningest pitcher of all time.  Look it up.  Maybe this performance will encourage them to swap out more of the dead weight on the roster.  Yes, I am look at you, Slater.  Unlike the liberal STO media, I have no sympathy for your role on this team, only righteous anger for your lack of production.  Dude, I wish could smite him.

Maybe they just can't hit American lefties?

The Tribe came in with an abysmal 5-16 record against left handed starters, scoring just 3.4 runs per in those games.  They had no trouble with Wei-Yin Chen, who, admittedly, allows a .270 average and an .826 OPS to left handed hitters.

Is Johnny Damon finally waking up?

Although his season average still sits at a decidedly unappealing .213, he's raking at .370 with an 1.117 OPS over his last 9 games.  I like totally agree with Bud Shaw that Idionetti will put on black face and do a minstrel show to the tune of "getting Travis Hafner, Roberto Hernandez and Grady Sizemore (won't happen) back is like making three huge deadline deals" and, more so, I agree that no Cleveland fan should be foolish enough to fall for the song and dance.  Still, if Damon continues and maybe Carlos Santana (.151, 0 HR since May 17th) remembers how to hit, that would be a big help.

Where have you gone Jack Hannahan?

When Jack hurt himself on May 12th, he was hitting .305.  Since then, he is 3-for-34 (.088) and his average has plummeted to .248.  Not only has the Indians' mismanagement of Hannahan's injury led to an unproductive player on the field, they have effectively destroyed what could have been a career year for the guy.  It's really very simple.  When a players gets injured, put him on the DL.  When a player is physically ready to play again, reinstate him.  The brass followed neither rule with Cap'n Jack and we have all suffered for it.  Heck, if I had the authority I would try woManny and Idionetti for crimes against humanity.

I love me some Esmil Rogers.

Yeah, it's not a question, but it's true.  If it were February, I would ask him to be my valentine.  I  have no idea where he finds the torque for his 98 MPH fastball nor how someone who averaged 4.5 BB/9 for his Major League career has managed a 13/0 K/BB ratio over his first 7 Indians appearances, but it's so sweet that I'm doodling little hearts that read Mrs. Esmil Rogers in them.

Here's to two in a row, folks.

Roll Tribe.

Cheers.

P.s.  Why does it seem like the Indians never hit any home runs?  Well, not only are they 21st in long balls, but 13 of the 64 (that's like a fifth) have come in just 4 total games.  Feast or famine my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment